Dispose of at the designated area
indicated by each neighborhood office
Methods of recycling
Divide thewaste by type and place in an ordinary plastic bag. You do not need to use a standard garbage bag.
Items mixedwith general wastewill not be collected
What is food waste?
Waste which can be fed to animals is considered food waste. Hard matters such as bones, hard shells etc., are not classified as food waste.
Food waste category
Items not included in food waste
Hard shells such as shells of walnuts, chestnuts, peanuts, acorns, coconuts, pineapples, coconut palms
Seeds of drupes such as peaches, apricots, persimmons
Bones and feathers
Shells of clam, turban shell, abalone, ark shell, sea squirt, oyster, crawfish, lobster, etc.
Internal organs of globe fish
Tea bags, grounds of herbal medicine
● Remove moist and non-acceptable items (vinyl, bones, shells)and put it in thewaste bag
- Do not include highly toxic matters, such as eggs of globe fish, onion peels, pepper paste
● Penalty will follow unlawful disposal (e.g. Putting food waste in general waste bags or mixedwith general waste) Penaltywill increase with repeated offenses
- Dispose food waste with a general standard plastic garbage bag or a fine will be levied as follows (penalty rates apply differently for each local district):
- 1st offense: 50,000 won
- 2nd offense: 100,000 won
- 3rd offense: 150,000 won
What is general waste?
Waste matters exclusive of food waste,
reusable waste, and large waste matters such
The standard plastic garbage bag
● Easily purchased at supermarkets
● Various sizes in semi-transparent white and
● Different districts use different bags
● Different prices by districts
How to discharge general waste
● Fill the garbage bags with a declared
amount; and tie the bag twice in the shape of
- Double check the district specified on the
garbage bag (Different districts use
● Discharge waste after sunset on collection day
- Inquire at the district office for designated
Separate garbage collection is designed to levy a graded charge for the amount of waste you dispose. The system facilitates the disposal of recyclable waste and the reduction of general waste by using the Standard Plastic Garbage Bag. It has been enforced since 1995.
Penalty for violations
● Penalties ranging from 25,000 won up to 50,000 won (depending on the local district) will be levied against an illegal disposal.
● If food waste is not separated from general waste, penalty rates for illegal disposal will grow progressively higher. (Penalty rates apply differently for each local district.) Penalty (Example: Seodaemun-gu)
- 1stoffense: 50,000 won
- 2nd offense: 100,000 won
- 3rd offense: 200,000 won Hours
● Discharge after sunset
● Garbage will be taken away before sunrise
● In front of the gate (if residence is an individual home)
● Outdoor wastebasket for apartments
● Entrance of the building
※You can easily find garbage disposal bags at supermarkets and convenience stores.