Separate garbage collection is designed to levy a graded charge for the amount of waste you dispose. The system facilitates the disposal of recyclable waste and the reduction of general waste by using the Standard Plastic Garbage Bag. It has been enforced since 1995.
Penalty for violations
● Penalties ranging from 25,000 won up to 50,000 won (depending on the local district) will be levied against an illegal disposal.
● If food waste is not separated from general waste, penalty rates for illegal disposal will grow progressively higher. (Penalty rates apply differently for each local district.) Penalty (Example: Seodaemun-gu)
- 1stoffense: 50,000 won
- 2nd offense: 100,000 won
- 3rd offense: 200,000 won Hours
● Discharge after sunset
● Garbage will be taken away before sunrise
● In front of the gate (if residence is an individual home)
● Outdoor wastebasket for apartments
● Entrance of the building
※You can easily find garbage disposal bags at supermarkets and convenience stores.